Criteria on Full and Associate Membership
The International Alliance of ALS/MND Associations encourages all organisations involved in support of people living with ALS/MND, and other organisations with an interest in ALS/MND, to apply for membership of the Alliance.
We have two levels of membership: Full and Associate. Full Membership is intended for constituted charitable associations whose goals align with the mission of the Alliance. Associate Membership is intended only for those individuals or associations who do not meet the criteria for Full Membership. Associate Members are invited to participate in Alliance activities and enjoy many benefits, but they do not have the right to be represented on the Board of Directors or to vote in annual elections.
Prospective members must submit a cover letter stating their reasons for wanting to become a member of the International Alliance, which must be accompanied by the specified information below.
- Serve people with ALS/MND or related disorders;
- Are chartered in own country as a non-profit national or independent organisation;
- Have a legal constitution or by-laws;
- Are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors (however described), elected by and/or from the membership which includes people living with ALS/MND, carers, past carers, or people closely associated with the disease; and
- Prepare an annual financial statement
are invited to apply for Full Membership of the International Alliance.
The fee for Full Membership is either an amount equal to 0.2% of total annual income of the applicant organisation or £UK100, which ever is greater. (At the discretion of the Board of Directors, fees can be waived or reduced for members that demonstrate need and make a request in writing.)
Applicants for Full Membership must submit the following documents in English:
- Cover letter
- Proof of non-profit status in their country
- Copy of their constitution and/or by-laws
- List of names of the Board of Directors (however described) and Officers
- Mission or purpose statement (most likely in constitution)
- Written financial statement of previous year’s income
- Copies of brochures and other materials (if not in English, then with some English translation)
Organisations, businesses or individuals whose mission is in accord with the stated objects of the International Alliance of ALS/MND Associations, but who are not eligible for Full Membership, are invited to apply for Associate Membership of the Alliance.
The Associate Membership fee is £UK100 per year.
Applicants for Associate Membership should provide the following documents in English:
- Cover letter
- Mission or purpose statement
- Copies of materials available that describe organisation or business
- Financial statement of previous year’s income
- A brief analysis of how their mission is in accord with the stated objects of the Alliance
Individuals seeking Associate Member status should simply provide a statement explaining why they wish to become an Associate Member.
For further information, or to submit applications for membership, please contact the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Board of Directors of the Alliance will review applications and supporting documentation received. Decisions are made at the Board of Directors Meetings, which are held quarterly. A letter or email will be forwarded advising applicants of the Board’s decision.
Participation at the annual International Alliance Meeting is encouraged for prospective new members. Observer status will be granted.